Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Padlet Unit Plan


The topic of racism and stereotyping have been in the news recently, both in the United States and internationally. I thought it was important to create a unit plan that reflected both current events, but also our country's troubled history on the subject. I think our history can serve to teach us the way forward on many topics, and hopefully on this one too.

My Padlet

I created the essential questions and unit goals for this lesson based on several different things: one was a lesson plan I found that focused on the topic, the other was recent news stories and incidents that provoked questions in my own mind about how we are handling stereotyping as a country, and the other was the historical perspective through which I've been viewing our country as I zero in on Social Studies as a topic.

I chose the apps and websites I did because it will give students the chance to not only express themselves, via YouTube and Google Docs, but also the opportunity to learn more about this topic, and others, if they so choose (the Smithsonian Channel's website). I also wanted to include a more multidisciplinary approach to the topic, which is why in my further reading section I include a psychology website, and the book "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Hope you all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment